Monday, May 12, 2014

the one with one year later

hey there everyone!
Thursday the 22nd will mark one year since I graduated from St. Joe. Somedays it feels like just last week, and somedays it feels like a lifetime ago.
As I've already finished my first year at FIDM and I'm knee deep into my second, I feel like it would be appropriate to share some of the wisdom I've gathered, and pass it on to the graduating seniors.
I don't want to come off as if I know it all- I don't, and that's why I want to share:

The Things I Wish I Would Have Learned in High School / Before I Left for College

1. How to Write a Check 
So, everyone has a debit/credit card- who really even uses checks anymore? That's what I though too. But, you need to learn. You'll need to write a rent check. Maybe even pay tuition. When in doubt, call your mother. Or google it. 

2. Financial Aide Stuff
So, unless you're really well-off, you're going to be paying off student loans. But, how much are you paying? Who are you paying? Why can't college just be free? Or five easy payments of $19.99. Sure you sat in on those meetings, and 'read' that packet. But did you? Did you really? Cause I didn't. 

3. How To Cook
Okay, so I know how to cook. And so do my roommates, bless their hearts. But you can't live off of pasta. Or take-out. Learn how to actually make a meal. Not one you just stick in the microwave. Because left-overs are God's gifts to college students. 

4. The fact that you don't have to know exactly what you want to do when you grow up at the age of 17/18.
My dream job has changed so many times since I wrote that admissions essay. And that's okay. A general direction to head in helps, but honestly, take things as they come. You might surprise yourself. 

5. How to Change an Ink Cartridge 
My dad always handled the printer. But then I moved and had my own printer. And then it ran out of ink. (Sidenote: why are they so damn expensive.) 

6. What to do During an Earthquake
Well, this one is on me. I moved to California with out googleing "What to do during an earthquake." My bad. 

7. I wish I would have learned that your life in high school doesn't matter in college, unless you want it to. 
You're going to go to a place where no one knows your name, and it's great. You don't have to tell people anything you don't want them to know. 

8. Always Buy More Toilet Paper Than You Think You'll Need
Self explanatory. Honestly, just buy the big one. 

9. Netflix Doesn't Need to be the Enemy
It shouldn't be your best friend, either. 

10. Sticky tak & command hooks are the bomb. 
Because you need to hang things and such.

11. You Don't Have to Go to Church Every Sunday to Keep Your Faith Alive
I'm busy. I've got stuff to do. And also sleep. I know I should go more often, but I've found that even though I sleep in on Sundays, I still find time.

12. How to Budget
Because suddenly, you have to buy your own groceries. And you also want Starbucks after class (and before class), and to go do fun things, and go out to dinner, and buy froyo, and go shopping. 

13. You Don't Have to Wait For Permission to Start Perusing Your Dreams. 
Just go for it. You're the only one holding you back.

14. If You Don't Put it in Your Planner, You're Going to Forget.
Honestly, write everything down. When things are due, when you need to do them. I'd be lost without my planner. 

15. You Could Gain the Freshmen 15, or the Freshmen 50. Or You Could Loose Weight. 
Just take care of yourself. Eat, but don't eat too much. Exercise, but get enough sleep. 


I hope you enjoyed! 










And please follow www.instagram.com/kagehapp ! 

-Hannahxx

"... and never settle for a life you don't want..."













No comments:

Post a Comment